10.09.2012

school projects and 30 days of grace & love day 8

 The pace of life and the overwhelming task of schooling the children hasn't given me the time to update on our schooling.
We have entered our second year of homeschool.
With a renewed vigor and with a new schedule.
We joined Classical Conversations this year as well as continuing at Sienna Ranch homeschool nature program (one morning a week).
This schedule gives us a 2 days at home for school, 2 days out at scheduled activities, which also includes speech therapy and errand running, and the final day is for fun activities or field trips or playdates.
So far so good.
I am trying to be more relaxed...perhaps to relaxed.
Case and point, it is nearly 10am and the kids are outside playing Native American...which is learning.
 I wanted to share a couple projects we have worked on of late.
I spotted this synonym lesson on pinterest.
We took paint chip cards, pulled out the thesaurus and Jude and Delia chose the words.
Common writing words...grow, play, sad, big, eat, loud and so on.
 We hole punched the chips together and the ring sits on the side of the fridge...at the ready.
Good news, we have used it a couple times already.
The kids loved this project.
 Another fun project was fruit exploration.  
While at the market last week, Jude asked if we could try dragon fruit.
 Inspired by fruit ninja, I suspect.
Of course we bought one.
At home the kids sketched a picture of the fruit and wrote a quick hypothesis of what the inside would look like and what dragon fruit would taste like.
Fun.
They were expecting a red apple like texture and tart taste.
 Surprise.
Soft, fleshy, white with mini black specks...
tastes kinda like a kiwi.
Delish.

Onward we march into schooling.
Seizing the opportunities, listening to books on CD on our weekly jaunts over the hill, taking time to read, write and stumble through math.
We are studying American history, California history and Ancient history all at once.  We are reading "The Young People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn and "A Nest for Celeste" by Henry Cole.  We are researching Miwok and Navajo (still), we are watching space shuttles, planting seeds, baking pumpkin bread and writing about all of it.
I think it will be a great year.
Homeschooling, we are taking it one year at a time.
Day by day.
Moment by moment.

Home school takes grace upon grace.
And love heaps of love.
Don't get me wrong, it is not always fun art projects, unicorns and rainbows around here.
I am already looking into middle school options for next year.
Everyday I think about having free time and getting all my projects completed.
There are moments of frustration, anger and resentment...on my part especially.
I need grace and love.  I need to shower them with love and grace.
God's grace.
I am only human so I will fail but I will forge forward because this is what I am called to...today.
Onward to math I go.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...that dragonfruit looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving that synonym project, what a great idea! Now I must go out to the farmers market and try a dragon fruit, it looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!