9.24.2012

olympic hopeful.

delia circa 2006
On the way home from Aerial Arts tonight, Delia remarked to me,
"I really want to be in the Olympics someday."
When I asked her what sport she replied,
"I don't know swimming or gymnastics. Wait, is aerial arts  a sport for the Olympics?" 
I responded by saying I didn't think it was but perhaps someday.
To which she inquired,
"What do you have to do to be in the Olympics?"
I explained the hours of training she would have to do but if she set her heart on the Olympics perhaps it could happen....I was trying not squash high hopes and keep the dreams alive but also wanted to add in a dose of reality.
Then Delia, spoke solemly,
"I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  I want to be in the Olympics, or be a restaurateur, or a novelist, or a rock climb teacher or an artist.  I just don't know what I want to be."
I smile, of course, because Delia is almost 9 and has her whole life ahead of her.
And because I am 40 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
I do know that the Olympics are not what I strive for.
 
 

2 comments:

I love comments!