9.04.2012

breakfast and recipe to boot

please note i have the ugly of ugly countertops.
i dream of having butcher block someday...when i am not a renter. yet i am grateful to have a kitchen.

This morning Delia and Jude requested puffed pancake for breakfast.
A reasonable request.
Puffed pancake is certainly in the repertoire. see
Selfishly, I thought to myself,  "what would I eat?  Eggs, again?"
Quick as a brown fox jumping over a lazy dog, I pulled out my recipe binder.
"There has to be something I can paleo-ify in here", I thought.
Not a concept I usually engage.  Often, when I bake for my family, I eat a handful of almonds.
I made the yummiest paleo custardy oven pancake of all time.
very loosely based on this recipe from Sunset. (which looks super delish if gluten is your thing)

Paleo Custardy Pear Oven Pancake

2 ripe but firm pears, washed, cored and sliced
1/4c butter (or so)
2 dashes of cinnamon
4 large eggs
3 Tbsp agave
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup almond flour
1 1/4 cup almond milk

preheat oven to 400
place favorite cast iron fry pan on burner
melt butter in hot pan
add pears and cinnamon
cook until soft or until pancake mixture is ready
whisk together 4 eggs until frothy
add agave and salt to eggs, continue to whisk
add almond flour (don't forget to stir pears)
add 1/4 c almond milk and whisk until well blended
add remaining cup of almond milk
turn heat off burner
add pancake mixture to pears
place in hot oven
bake 30 mins
let cool for 5-10 mins
share with your loved ones.

options: drizzle with maple syrup or add blueberries
note: this pancake did not "puff" but was a lovely custardy breakfast delight nonetheless

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that sounds GOOD. Is there anything almonds can't make better!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and now I'll need to buy almond flour. Ths sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!