5.02.2011

muhammara

REPOST: May 2nd


Have you ever been at a great restaurant and ate something so tasty that you couldn't wait to get a chance to make it yourself?

This little phenomenon happens to me on a fairly regular basis.

Enter muhammara.

Whilst on vacation, John & I had the chance to go on a date (thanks Mols & Lucas)...a lovely meal which resulted in 2 things...a love for muhammara and an epic beer shopping spree.

After returning home I looked up muhammara and the ingredient list...roasted red peppers (check), walnuts (check), olive oil (check), garlic (check), pomegranate molasses (UNCHECK) and so on. I searched for pomegranate molasses to no avail...in reality I only checked 6 stores, what I really needed was an Arabic market.

This was not an ingredient I knew how to substitute for something else...then in a moment of brilliance I realized I could just make pomegranate molasses. So I did.

In a nutshell: Pomegranate Molasses:

4 cups pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1Tbsp lemon juice.

Place in a pot, stir over medium heat until sugar melts and then stir occasionally until reduced to 1 cup of molasses.

As for muhummara I used this recipe and it was super yummy but next time I want a bit more fire...spicier peppers. The muhmmara is wonderful served with crisp lettuce and/or fresh pitas.

You can also make pita bread at home too. I didn't this time but I have in the past and will again in the future.

What have you been cooking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!