3.21.2011

Socca


Have you heard of Socca?
A chickpea flour bread/snack from France.
Well, it sounded delish to me (and it is gluten free) so I decided yesterday was the day to give it a whirl.
Be sure to give yourself time because the batter needs about 2 hours before it is cooked.


Basically, you mix 1 cup of chickpea flour (check Wholepaycheck), 1 cup of water, a dash of cumin, 3/4tsp salt and 1.5 Tbsp of olive oil and let stand for 2 hours.
Oil a cast iron fry pan (heat in oven) and set your oven to broil; pour batter into hot pan and place under broiler.


The socca turned out more bready and less crackery than the recipe appears to show and having never had socca before I had little experience in knowing exactly but it was super tasty.


Place hot socca on a cutting board and generously season with salt and freshly ground pepper (and a drizzle of olive oil) and eat warm.


Share with your children until only crumbs remain.
I will be making this snack again.

The recipe I used was from David Lebovitz, check it out.

6 comments:

  1. Did you ever go to Socca Oven in the "gourmet ghetto" in Berkeley? I was so disappointed they closed. You might have inspired me to give it a whirl at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this looks delicious!
    I have to try....and do so when the kids are away;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had socca in France and it was DELISH! The socca lady at the market in Nice was a little mean at first, but Tim got her to warm up to him by Day 3. Yum!

    I'll have to show you the pics sometime. This little man rode in on a bike with the socca in a cart on the back and then she'd heat it over coals in a barrel. So, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must try! We are hesitantly hanging off the sides of the gluten free train....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!