12.09.2010

little bits of creativity and such


I jumped on the cake garland bandwagon and added my flair to a whole paycheck cake for a 20th anniversary party.
Skewers, bakers twine and 1.25" silver & blue stickers.
Just like that. Tada!
Let's just say I am not a very good cake baker...but those professionals over at whole paycheck are!
Although tonight I made a kale & potato soup that was scrumptious...to the whole family!
i must apologize for the lousy photography...pure documentation not art...i like to have documentation AND art in each shot but not this day.

Have I ever mentioned how wonderful it is to live in California?
The produce bounty is amazing.
See above photo for the local organic fare I picked up at the market yesterday.
I have already cooked the swiss chard (with beet greens) into a lovely side dish, roasted the potatoes and beets, used the dill as a garnish, and made kale & potato soup.
Still on the docket: apple/pear crisp, sweet potato burritos and beet & butter lettuce salad.
I am not sure what to do with the turnips...but they looked so pretty so I decided to take my least favorite veggie and make something tolerable...I'll check with Alice to see what she recommends.
Everyone has a favorite and least favorite right?
What is yours?
A little more holiday decor.
A lovely banner from ourhartbeat.
A advent calendar made with red baby socks I saved from the infant years....I have had this idea in the cooker for 7 years (I can't recall the original idea source..likely Martha) and I didn't even get it together until the 7th.
Basically it is baby socks, bakers twine, small clothes pins, circle labels numbered and a few candies tucked inside each sock.
If I was really together I would copy something advent-ish to put in each sock but let's save that for 2 years down the road.
Something has got to give.
Right?
What are you letting "give" this season?
Me? Likely homemade Christmas cards!

8 comments:

  1. I, too, have let go of homemade holiday cards...maybe, though, people will get homemade new years cards? OR Valentine's Day?

    Your cake is adorable, the food looks divine, and your advent calendar warmed my heart. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM, turnips. :) I chop sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, yams, turnips, parsnips, carrots and anything else rooty. You can add onions if you family likes that, add them in big chunks. Put everything on a huge pan with olive oil, garlic and rosemary and roast the living daylights out of 'em. MMMM.

    Of course the above recipe works with just about any combination of root veggies. You can leave out or add anything to your liking, but potatoes must be included. MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding it difficult to get the kids to eat kale without major threats being leveled and I have a bunch in my fridge taunting me as I type. Care to share the potato and kale soup recipe?

    Cake banner is too cute...they make it look so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a link to the super duper soup...I have the cookbook though!

    http://dianacooks.com/2008/07/15/kale-and-potato-soup/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I saw a blog post somewhere with the baby sock idea recently! SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An awesome recipe for using potatoes and kale is the Zuppa Toscana recipe from Olive Garden. There are copy-cat recipes around the net and it's SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, this is where I saw those little socks! http://rhythmofthehome.com/winter-2010/holiday-countdown/ LOVE that site <3

    (Also, the word verification for this comment is "socknes"... coincidence??)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love living in CA too, and know we are spoiled with produce year round! In fact, we are also in the Bay Area. And we are loving our sock countdown, too. Nice to "meet" you.
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!