12.13.2010

Dark-Days Challenge Week 1


I am taking on the (not so) urban hennery dark -days challenge this winter.
The idea is to cook and eat a SOLE (sustainable, organic, local, ethical) meal 4x a month.
A blog/cooking challenge.
I do live in the SF Bay Area and therefore have lots of access to good local organic ingredients.
We as a family, tend to eat this way already but there are lots of "staples" in our pantry and diet that are not local or organic but could be.
I thought it would be fun to play along and blog about the process.
...
Last week I made Curly Kale & Potato soup from "The Art of Simple Food"* (p254)
*the best cookbook I own

Ingredients found locally within California: (O)= organic
kale (O)
onions(O)
potatoes(O)
garlic(O)

Not local but could be:
salt (I used what I hand on hand)
olive oil (O) (also on hand but usually I buy California olive oil and will again when this bottle runs out...next week)
chicken broth (O)(could have used frozen homemade stock but opted for a quick carton
white beans (O)(too lazy to plan ahead to cook up rancho gordo...next time)
Parmesan (on hand, used the last bit and put the rind in the soup for extra flavor)

Here is the recipe adapted and in shorthand:

2 sliced onions cooked in a large pot with olive oil until softened
add 4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 lbs of potatoes cut into 1/4" slices ( I used marble potatoes cut into 3rds and I had less that a pound) to be added when garlic is soft
Add 1 bunch of kale (washed & chopped).
Stir and add a pinch of salt.
Cook for 5 min and add 6c homemade chicken broth (I used Organic Imagine Brand)
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30mins until potatoes and kale are tender
Add 1 1/2 c cooked white beans
Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese to taste (optional).
Serve hot with crispy toast or crusty bread.

This soup tasted even better as leftovers. Also a big hit with the kids....and with other people's kids!


3 comments:

  1. I might try this too as we have a lot of locally grown produce here in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea...
    I wonder how practical it would be to do this in the North. We definitely don't have local produce in the winter-but I think I'd like to take inspiration from this post and try to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this ever look good! I'll have to try it out...it's definitely Soup Weather here!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!