9.25.2010

unhurried


I want to model the unhurried life.
I fail.
A few days ago, Delia asked me why we are always in a rush.
A few days ago during a conversation at work it was brought to my attention that I move around the store too quickly.
I feel like I am always in a hurry.
Like the country song, "...I'm in a hurry to get things done, I rush and rush 'til life's no fun..."

Constantly anxious to get there, be there, leave there, stay there, catch up.
I live the hurried life.
Until I stop and sit like a lump on the sofa or in front of the computer.
I don't want my kids to think of me a hurried mom.
How can I have my kids involved in sports and music and such without the hurry?
How do you do it?


I want the unhurried life.
I want the intentional unhurried life.
...
Today I walked slower, took deeper breathes, let the noise level of children not bother me, I even took a nap and photographed the dog living her unhurried life!

5 comments:

  1. "All I really gotta do is live & die... but I'm in a hurry and don't know why..."

    I totally get where you're coming from.

    I think we both need this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/56992541/the-hurrier-i-go-the-behinder-i-get-the

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a scene in EAT PRAY LOVE when Elizabeth is in Italy and they tell her that Americans are too busy, that they work so hard and then veg out in their pj's on the couch all weekend,.
    I know what you are felling though. Back in Ontario is was go-go-go all the time.
    Glad to hear that you are trying to consciously low down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. self pressure is one of those things that a lot of us need to solve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Move to Idaho : ) We lived entirely unhurried there. I can't seem to reclaim that here in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm picturing you at work, and the image is one of a vhs tape on fast forward. It's quite a comical mental picture.

    I worry about hurry, too. Our family did NOT hurry as kids, and I've been thinking about that a lot lately. We gave up a lot of stuff and experience to live that simple life, but I don't think we missed out. It was just different. When you don't hurry, you don't get to cram as much into life. So, the question is, which is better?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!