9.13.2010

Having it all.

photo not related to post.
As moms, as women, as humans do we need to have it all.
Can we really keep all the balls juggling all the time.
Aren't the balls likely to start dropping?
They do drop don't they?
Do we need to have it all?
When did we start believing that myth?
What if we drop the balls intentionally?
...
I recently came across and article/interview with Emma Thompson and Maggie Gyllenhaal, which got me thinking about having it all or not.

What if we take Emma Thompson's advice?
What if we embracing her thought,
"...sometimes you will have some things and other times you will have other things...you do not need it all at once, it is not good for you."
Read the article over at Good Housekeeping and watch the short video.
Here is the linky loo.
I want to hear your thoughts.
Do feel like you must have it all?
Do you have it?
Are you a lousy juggler?
I will be the first to admit I do not have it all and I drop balls all the time, now I just need to embracing not needing to have it all.


3 comments:

  1. I don't know if there's a way to have it *all* and I don't even have any kids of my own! For myself, I'm trying to design my life in a way that makes me happy, that may someday lead to balance, or at least more resources (read: time and money) to live the way I want to (read: loads of travel and really good food).

    I know we've both been hinting around at this when we see each other (really, we gotta hang out soon!) but I've been feeling complete overwhelm the last few weeks, and now I'm attempting to at least get a little bit of control over all of my own balls in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends on who defines "it all". Are you trying to have it all based on other people's definition or "keeping up with the Joneses?" or are you defining it for yourself and content with all you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny - I was just reading that article with my coffee the other morning but didn't get a chance to finish it.
    I'm not a good juggler, so I just let the balls drop and kick them around on the floor. They'll still be there when I need to pick them up again. I try not to stress out about them.
    My wants are pretty basic, and I'm married to someone of the same mind, so that probably makes it easier to drop things. In my circle, it's pretty clear that no one is assessing my value as a human being based on the number of balls in the air. I'm coming around to thinking the same way, but it's a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!