1.04.2010

sunchokes

These are sunchokes,
aka Jerusalem artichokes.
A gift from farmer Bob to me.
Something new to learn about and try to cook.
Have you had sunchokes before?
Heard of them?
I had heard about sunchokes but had no idea about them, a first for me.

First I googled, then off to wiki and then onto a recipe site.
Perfect,
sunchoke gratin.
Anything gratin sounds good to me.
Anything baked with a cheese topping.
First you peel the knobbly ginger looking chokes,
toss them into salted boiling water until soft but not mushy (10 mins)
butter a baking dish, slice chokes and place in pan like a tile roof (overlap), top with parmesan cheese and dot with butter (I added a few leftover breadcrumbs too),
and bake at 400 until bubbly & browned.
Taste.

Super tasty...like really flavorful potatoes only better.
I would make sunchokes again but I will say the peeling is laborious.
...
oh-no, I might not make it again.
hungry cravings blog post explains a few things to me I didn't know about.
...
OKAY I WILL NOT BE EATING SUNCHOKES AGAIN...THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE NOT A MAINSTREAM VEGGIE!


A bonus shot of my messy kitchen for those of you who think my kitchen is always tidy!

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Sorry to hear that the sun chokes were less impressed to meet you than you were to meet them. Thanks for the warning! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my!!! thanks for the warning too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Nicole, where you in my kitchen today? I'm having deja vu...that counter sure looks like mine!

    Oh how I crave a clean and spacious house. One day neighbor, one day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did they cause a reaction?? That's too bad, because they are tasty aren't they.. I looove sunchokes. I've never had a weird digestive reaction. So worth the work of peeling (once or twice a season, that is..) I slice them and fry them in butter and have them on salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REPEAT DO NOT EAT SUNCHOKES!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!