10.06.2009

raising foodies week 3

Well, it is week 3 of the raising foodies online cooking club, if you want to see what others are cooking up for their families in an attempt to raise foodies, click on over to Joslyn's "Raising Foodies" blog and check her side posts for the list of those playing along.
...
Week 3 was a success around here, and we even had a 8 year old friend join us, so the meal was kid approved x3 and of course parent approved.
I'll make this again...I always say that but I really enjoy trying new recipes.
...
Pomegranate-glazed chicken breasts served with pistachio couscous and steamed garden fresh beans. The chicken recipe was adapted from "Everyday Food" and the a couscous was hybrid between the Trader Joe's box and a different "Everyday Food" recipe.
adapted recipes as follows:

Pomegranate-glazed chicken recipe can be found here. I used boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts instead of what the recipe calls for and instead of orange juice I used a orange/peach/mango juice I had on hand. I also used a twig of fresh rosemary and used a little less vinegar.
...
For the couscous:
-melt a blop of butter in a pot and sauté a green onion (I used the last one from my garden) until golden-ish...you could use a shallot instead.
- add a mashed clove of garlic and saute
- add 1 1/2 cup of Israeli couscous, 1 bay leaf and a dash of cinnamon (or a cinnamon stick...I only had cinnamon on hand), stir for a about 1 minute
-add 1 3/4 of chicken broth and a pinch of salt to mixture, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
-Stir and add a handful of pistachio pieces and a handful of raisins, and parsley to couscous (optional of course...you could use pine nuts, almonds, dried cranberries and so on
-serve and marvel at your kids asking for seconds.

What have you been cooking?

3 comments:

  1. yum!! sunday night i fried pork chops, yesterday it was pot roast. today I'm boiling a hen for chicken and dumplings - I seem to be in a southern comfort mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. Definitely added to my list of recipes I have to try. I like the addition of pistachios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks great. What a find! Thanks for letting us know that you used boneless skinless breasts...when recipes suggest bone in I always fear they have a real reason to do so!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!