8.07.2009

Julia


I'm off to the movies.

Yesterday, just in time for "Julie & Julia" opening night, I finished reading " Life in France..the life of Julia Child. Ms. Child's life story is full of many adventures but in reading the book I was most struck with how she viewed her life in the early days in Paris.
"I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was." p.83

Through out the next 350+ pages, I read about this amazing adventure as Julia discovered who she was and who she wanted to become.
Starting with a desire to cook, then onto writing cookbooks, and kick starting our now current cooking show obsession.
Along the way, Ms Child traveled to new countries, tried new foods, met new friends, lived in different countries, bought a home in Provence and so on and so forth.
There is no way at age 37 that she could image that this week in 2009 a movie would be watched by millions about her life (and of course Julie Powell's life).
I am off to see said film this afternoon...I do have high expectations having read both books the movie is based on...not that either books are over fantastic in themselves but the idea is novel and causes me food for thought...no pun intended.
Here I am at age thirty-seven at a crossroads of life and like Julia Child I am still discovering who I am but more importantly who God has called me to be.
...
Speaking of Ms. Child have you read Michael Pollan's article in the NY Times.
Take a moment to read it.
...

2 comments:

  1. I think this is why I want to see the film so much. I need to read Julia's side of the story - Julie's side did not make me like her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im headed there on the 19th for girls nite out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!