2.25.2009

Lenten Season

'tis the season of Lent.
Every year, just like last year, I give up chocolate for Lent.
This year, I am going to shake things up a bit and aim for a slightly more substantial goal.  I am jumping on Simply Lovely's spending hiatus.
For Lent I am giving up empty needless spending.
For the next 6 weeks, I will only be spending money on the essentials.
What are the essentials? 
 Essential is probably different for everyone.
For me, a spending hiatus means latte's made at home not out on the town, no new sweaters, avoiding the endcaps at Target, no craft supplies, and no mindless spending.
I am attempting to use what we have and be more mindful of where our money goes.
No shopping for comfort.

I hope this journey will give me clarity in decision making, allow me to save money, give me wisdom and increase my faith.
May God guide my path.
...
Are you giving up anything for Lent?

3 comments:

  1. My son suggested that I give up "asking them to clean up."

    I am not taking his suggestion.

    I am going to give up complaining. No really, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're doing this! And I can't wait to hear you're perspective on it. It may be easier to "just walk away" than you think. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. desserts.
    I have never really observed lent before, and never really knew it existed until I met you! However, after feeling compelled to have an Ash Wednesday service at work yesterday, I was drawn to the meaning of giving something up for lent. [in order to relate (on a really unlevel level, I know) to Christ's suffering and yet denying Himself the choice He had to stop it all.] I never thought about that correlation much. So, I'm going for desserts. I'll try. Thanks for bringing me into the knowledge of Lent, which is most Evangelical churches today is not even mentioned!

    steph

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!