5.30.2008

jam, check.

Sunshine in a box. Golden, fragrant goodness.

One of my many goals for this year, is to learn to make jam.

So, on Wednesday I thought I would try my hand a apricot jam...we have a certain Uncle in the valley who has an orchard and I got my hands on a box of the lovelies.

...

I split them in half and put them in a pot with sugar and cooked them to a lovely thick puree.

Excuse the poor lighting...too lazy to get one of our 4 tripods out to take a natural light photo. Slacker! Come on I was making jam!


...

The recipe (see below) was for a small batch, so I found a few smallish jars to spread the wealth to friends. At the same time I had jam cooking away I decided to make an apricot sauce...for drizzling over pancakes, ice cream, yogurt etc.

I was wearing a vintage gingham apron and cooking dinner. A perfect 50's wife. Not really.
But I do try.

...

There is nothing like toasting up a slice of bread and smothering it in jam...especially if it is the jam you made yourself. A goal I can confidently check off my list and definitely a do-again goal.
I ran out of apricots...maybe I should try strawberry jam.
......
APRICOT JAM
(Maryse's Apricot Jam/Confiture D'Apricots de Maryse from Food & Wine)
Ingredients:
2 lbs apricots: rinsed, halved, pitted and pits reserved
1 1/2 cups of sugar
Directions:
-Crack 10 of the apricot pits to reveal the almond-like nut within (reserve nuts but discard remaining pits)
-In a large unlined copper jam pot or heavy stock pot, combine the apricots, reserves nuts and sugar.
-Stir to dissolve sugar
-Cook over moderate heat, stir regularly for 1 hour (do not allow to burn or stick to bottom of he pot). The mixture will turn thick and bright orange in color and the apricots will melt into a puree.
-Transfer to a bowl and set aside at room temperature for 24 hours.
...
-When ready to complete jam, prepare four 8 oz canning jars (sterilizing and preparing according to jar manufactures instruction)
-Reheat the mixture over moderate heat until very thick.
-Transfer jam to hot jelly jars and seal according to jar manufacture. Store in a cool place for up 1 year.
MY NOTES:
Share jam with friends and smother on yummy toast for breakfast. Enjoy.
...._...._...._...._
APRICOT SAUCE
(from "Apples for Jam")
1/2 cup sugar
a few drops of vanilla
1 1/2 cups of water
about 15 ripe apricots (halved with pits removed)
DIRECTIONS:
-put sugar, vanilla and water in a large pot; bring to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves.
-simmer for a few minutes and then add apricots.
-cover pan and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes (TOOK LONGER FOR ME) until apricots lose their shape.
-Puree until smooth and then chill.
-Eat (Serve over ice cream, on pancakes or with yogurt)
Yummy!
-

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh yummo! I can totally picture you slavin' away like a 50's Mama! Ü

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I am ever in awe of you! The things you do how awesome!!! I hope it all turned out! That is so so so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest too the yumm-iosity of the apricot jam. Dee Lish Us.

    Thanks Nicole!

    Where did you get those adorable little jars?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nicole,
    I am friends with Becky and Jody and just found your page.
    If you want the color to keep vibrant, and to make sure there is no chance of spoiling, pour in 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Apricots and other fruit need an acid when canning.
    If you do Strawberries, try balsamic vinegar for your acid. Yummy. :) Great job girl!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!