5.05.2008

food love

I thought I'd lighten up my blog a wee bit with some blather about what I baked, cooked and prepared today. A little of this and a little of that to distract me from the busyness of all the other things on my mind.
As you know, today is Cinco de Mayo , which means a big party here in California.
Last week Jude volunteered me, so thoughtful of him, to provide sweets for the class party. Jude told his class and teacher something along the line of "My mom is totally awesome and the best mom of all time and she has so much free time she would love to whip up tasty snacks for the class." Not really but I thought I'd check to see if you were paying attention.
In reality, I have no idea what he said, just that he volunteered my cookie baking services.
Now, I have never made Mexican Wedding Cookies but hey, how tough could it be...turns out not tough at all but there are a gazillion recipes out there in the www for such a cookie.

Actually, I made 2 batches of the same recipe...yesterday for today's class Cinco de Mayo party and today for our family celebration of said holiday. I preferred yesterday's batch...both times I used almonds although yesterday I toasted the almonds after I ground them up...a bit tastier.

Incidentally, Mexican Wedding Cookies are also know as Russian Teacakes, Snowballs and a plethora of other pseudonyms.
......
In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I decided to make grilled fish tacos for dinner, complete with an avocado cream (fancy for avocado, lime and sour cream), grilled cod (what I had in the freezer), marinated cabbage and roasted orange pepper.

Yes, I do roast my own peppers now and again.
Quite simple actually, especially if you have a gas stove top.
Place pepper on lit burner and turn until all sides are charred and the pepper has softened. Immediately place pepper in paper sack to "sweat".
Wait until cooled and remove pepper from bag.
Rinse pepper in water, slothing off charred bits.
Pat dry...or let sit
Slice pepper and drizzle with olive oil and salt.
Serve in tacos, in sandwiches, with pasta and so on.
Yum-o!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

4 comments:

  1. wow you are an awesome mom!!! very kind of you to make cookies for the class and such a yummy sounding dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm love Mexican food! Your fish tacos sound yummy even here at 6am! Ü

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I, too, was inspired to whip up something ethnic yesterday, but apparently 6PM on 5 May is NOT the best time to shop for tomatillos! Will have to satisfy my craving for fresh tomatillo/avacado salsa once the market has replenished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! 'nuff said. :) I had some of those cookies at Burbank conference. I think Mandy made them and they were so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!