3.10.2008

I am loved...or thought of at least!

Last week, my sister-in-law (who was a friend long before a SIL...a story for another day because it is long and complicated and quite frankly not all that interesting to anyone except those directly involved) and I headed out to hear Michael Pollan speak (and promote his latest book "In the Defense of Food"). At the end of his talk he opened the floor for Q & A and the last question focused on the topic of eggs...where to buy your eggs? What kind of eggs? etc.
Mr. Pollan lives locally and in his previous book "Omnivore's Dilemma" discusses the environment of laying hens...not good...2 or 3 to a confined pen pecking at each other and stimulated to lay twice a day...and so on and so forth...you get the idea.
Anyways Mike was describing the yolk (and whites) of a grass-grazing-free-range-pastured chicken egg and I start clapping. Yes, embarrassing myself and likely my SIL. He responds "I'm getting applause for yolks". Indeed you are Mr. Pollan...I raise my arms in a cheer.
So I was regaling my friend, Roni, with much ado about the talk and the yolks and the very next day she arrived at my door bearing gifts.
A golden eggs so to speak...half dozen tokens of friendship...pastured of course.

I am loved. I am heard. I miss my own pastured hens.

If the coop wasn't dismantled I might have picked a few hens on my way home.

Mine, all mine and I ain't sharing a single yolk.

I am having eggs on toast...with runny yolks...eggs over salad greens (my new favorite lunch)...maybe even a fried egg on rice!

...............................................................................

A couple days later my friend (and cousin-in-law) handed me a green paper bag and told me she saw this and thought of me and of course was sure to get me a couple yards.

Oooh I am spoiled.


This "bird seed" fabric has been on my covet list (mental of course...I don't keep a running tally) for over a year but it is hard to come by. A big seller!
What shall I make?
....................................................................
Have you seen these bacon cups yet? I foresee a meal in my future featuring these little babies!
Speaking of little tidbits did you know you can turn your handwriting into a font online...fancy!
I love to find these little tidbits for y'all...like I am sharing buried treasure...arg me hearties!

5 comments:

  1. I love that fabric! I have been drooling over the idea of bacon cups and can't wait to make some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were closer Nicole you could come raid our chicken house for the fresh warm ones everyday! Come Spring here "our gals" will put out two a day! I love all of your links by the way, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fontifier!? What a fabulous idea!

    My husband will not thank you for amplifying my already existing enthusiam for chickens, but thanks from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo , those bacon cups, soooo making those!
    The fabric, sigh, lovely!

    The eggs, beautiful!
    I have a hard time shopping for eggs and usually end up with the omega 3 free range ones,taste better and have a rich yellow yoke compared to the average store bought ones.
    Sure wish I could get my hands on some fresh farm ones though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon cups - sheer brilliance! I'll have my egg in a bacon basket for Easter this year thank you very much.

    I have that bird fabric in red. Let me know what you come up with for it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!