10.03.2007

unhurried mom

On our weekend away I read an article in Wondertime about "The Unhurried Child". The underlying message was not to constantly push a child that would rather hang back and not be rushed around. I found myself reflecting on this concept from a personal point of view...I don't have "unhurried" kids but I am a frenzied hurried mom. Often running late, trying to squeeze in one more errand, one more load of laundry and one more email before I do the mad dash out the door and the frantic seat belt scurry in the car. Always running a few minutes behind. My morning mantra is "hurry up" "time to go" "let's go" "I said move" "go go run run"" okay when we get there we need to hurry hurry because we are running late". So I purposed in my heart to slow down...not to multi-task every moment of everyday but to take time to pause and seize the day. What does that mean practically...stop washing dishes to read a book with Jude; not shower before taking the kids to school; read emails in the evening so we can go to the park; not obsess over cleanliness so much and to break down and buy a few processed food snacks instead of making them. This is a challenge for me because I want to be super mom, super wife and all around super...accomplisher of menial tasks, bargain shopper extraordinare and the food networks rising star. I think I might actually thrive on the frenzy of my life. However, this week the unhurried me, folded 5 loads of laundry at 10:30 pm, never baked pumpkin muffins or cleaned the bathroom but instead I participated in random art projects, played at the playground, went to the bookstore and burnt a few sweet potatoe wedges. I didn't worry about nap time or cleaning up rooms I just enjoyed Babar and Strawberry Shortcake. So what if the Halloween decor is still sitting in a tote in my living room, who cares if the kitchen storage cart is still in it's box by the door. Okay, I care but I am trying really hard not to. We got to school early, arrived for tennis lessons with 10 minutes to spare and enjoyed reading books at Barnes & Noble all because we were unhurried.

9 comments:

  1. I'm trying to do the same! It make such a difference to have even a few moments with no task and no deadline and no GO GO GO! The kids thrive...

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Welcome to my world! I do hope this means you will stop and drink some coffee with me sometime, after all, there is pleasure in slowing down for you as well. And we can buy pastries from the coffee shop, which will cost us $3 but at the freedom of hours of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! That is perhaps one of the greatest accomplishments of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good... and relaxing! I found for me that laying things out ahead of time works good. Also making lists and slowly checking things off of them, not in a rush or hurry, but as I feel like doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I have totally nailed the taking time and slowing down, a little to far. I wish I had some of the hurry jean! I have to force myself to get stuff done, oh, I want to be a super mom, I just need a really good nap first.
    Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I wish you the best in the slowing down ... apply brakes slowly. Don't jolt the ride. Sometimes our internal clock make us move a little faster than the average bear.

    Keeping busy, even over-busy sometimes keeps us sane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole, i am overjoyed by your blog. You are a super mom. But the 'super-ness" is not by what you do, but by your character. In fact, you are a super person (not just a mom.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone in my kitchen this weekend quoted one of our pastors... "We are human BEINGS not human DOINGS!" Hooray for being! g

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!