8.02.2007

reflections

Last night about midnight I finished reading a novel and I found myself quite teary. The tears of a moving story but more than that I suspect.
Within each of us, I predict, lay the unexpected tears of what could have been, what might have been...the ifs, whys and maybes. Perhaps even the pent up sorrows of a woman's heart, a mothers heart, a wife, a sister, a friends heart. The unexplained sadness of hopes, dreams, regrets and of futures past. Overwhelming sense of emotion not only because the novel or in other cases the movie, the story or the photo but a mixture of the joys and difficulties of a life lived. A combination of love, loss, hope, regret, joy, sorrow, peace. A restlessness, a deep yearning, a desire, a calling, a need. An outlet for tears. Let the tears flow, let the emotions out, fall asleep and know that each day is new.
As Washington Irving once said
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.”

4 comments:

  1. niki b,

    And you have not written a book because????? I am always awed by your reflections, way with words, and outlook on life. I miss you. Love to the Bateman clan.

    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a thought provoking post. It makes one want to sit up and realize not just what could have been but yet what is, was and just how amazing the life led to this point is. You would have thought that some times its the little things that make you appreciate the beauty and the gift that is life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my dear Nicole! If ever there were a better post to read on a day when I needed a good one! Glad to see that you are always up to inspiring others! Give the kids love for me! Miss you!
    ~Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, you got me. Were you sitting inside my head when you wrote all that? I'll be starting that book tonight. Because I'm a glutton for punishment.

    Come back soon, OK?

    Monica

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!