How can I resist a 5 year old requesting split pea soup? I can not, especially when that 5 year old is my 5 year old! Split pea soup upon request. It is his favorite after all. The timing works out great because Nan is here and she also loves the soup.
Here is my recipe...adapted from who knows who or where.
The first thing you need to do is buy the biggest bone-in ham you can find and bake for all your family and friends...be sure to leave extra meat on the bone and freeze the bone for a rainy day...or a soup request day.
SPLIT PEA SOUP
2 tbs butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 tsp dried marjoram
2 cups split peas, rinsed (about 1 package)
leftover ham bone
8 cups of water
S & P to taste
1) melt butter in soup pot. add veggies and saute until softened
2) and marjoram and and peas, stir to release fragrance, about 1 minute
3) add ham bone
4) add water, bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to simmer until veggies are soft and ham is falling off the bone
5) remove ham bone and cut meat off and set aside
6) remove half of the soup and puree before returning to the pot
7) add ham to soup
8) season with salt & pepper to taste
9) eat & enjoy
Besides making split pea soup, I accomplished about a zillion other things today...worked at the hardware store, went to the tea room, returned my swimsuit, picked up dry cleaning, got my hair cut, took Delsie to speech, went to physio, prepped for tomorrow, and a ton of little stuff. Ahhh. The day in the life.
Hey, this is a shout out to Ed, who doesn't understand what a blog is or why one would want to blog.